Sunday, April 26, 2009

Today I'm Going To Be A...

Excuse me for a minute while I sound like a high school student. Second Life. I don’t get it. It must be nice to escape into a world where you can live your fantasies. If you’re having a bad day, or bored of your everyday run of the mill activities you can escape into a virtual world.  With the click of your fingertips the possibilities are endless. Except for the very few people who actually enjoy their job, the majority of us would rather not spend our days working. I’m currently in school full time, but I can relate to the working world woes. I know I would rather spend my days doing fun activities than tied to my job. I was shocked to see the number of people who had jobs in the virtual world. I don’t know, perhaps they are experimenting with a career change?  Not only are people playing with careers, but they are playing with their bodies as well. Are people that unhappy with reality that they have to join a virtual world to make them happy? Is this really going to benefit society or will we be hearing more stories on the news about the rise of body image issues?

2 comments:

  1. Ancient philosophy contends that leisure time is for the sake of work because work is what ultimately leads to happiness....Does anyone believe this on an absolute basis?

    I think it applies to the lucky few who find the niche where work is play. But...i think the subelement here that is being missed is the addictive nature of interfaces such as Second Life where people escape themselves. Read a book, take a walk, go fishing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I totally agree with your point of rather not spending time using second life if we really enjoy our jobs. The Second Life strikes me as just another 'video game'
    I perceive no value added by using Second Life for business purposes. Rather, I see 'inefficiencies' on the job due to the 'unrealistic' nature of the site.
    The difference between an individual's real life identity and Second Life identity doesn't just reflect professionalism to me.

    ReplyDelete